Sunday 17 March 2024

Design Principles, learning, and the immediate, personal, 'context-ghost'


Short version of below text

Merill’s First principles of instruction, in particular, the second point “existing knowledge is activated as a foundation for new knowledge“, is really resonating with me as I am conscious of the contextualising that is going on in the back of mind as I read through.

Community of Inquiry reminded me of Vygotsky’s social development theory.
As I read through Robert Gagné’s Nine Steps in the back of my mind I ‘stepped through’ a class I had written. A lesson plan for a 2D animation class. I haven't taught animation for a long time, but it just popped into my head as a comparison when I read through the 9 steps.

Leads me to reflect on the consideration of existing knowledge in the varying aproaches of design principle
s.

Note - may be unreadable. It is a rough draft to capture thoughts. Coming back to edit later.


Design Principles, some little moments that I recognised. 
In particular Merill’s First principles of instruction, while reading through I have in the back of my mind Piaget, Vygotsky and (even) Froebel’s Gifts …some background knowledge of Cognitive Development theory (from an eLearning module I worked on a few years ago). 

This knowledge is helping me to mentally ‘place’ aspects of my learning as I read through these Design Principles. 

Merill’s First principles of instruction second point “existing knowledge is activated as a foundation for new knowledge“ 

Robert Gagné's Nine Steps of Instruction reminds me of Piaget and also Froebel’s Gifts, 

Community of inquiry reminded me of Vygotsky’s social development theory. Which makes me wonder about underlying theories (or context) behind these Design Principles. What was the context for the design principles development and how does this inform…?

 I am also thinking about these design principles and applying them ‘gently’ as I read through, to my experience.
For example, teaching a 2 D animation workshop. 
I read through Robert Gagné’s 9 Steps and mentally ghosted what I had structured in my lesson plan for that/a session. And thought about what I was trying to cover with what I’d structured, and did it align to Gagné’s 9 Steps – feeling it largely did, as that is why it came to mind as a kind of immediate, personal, 'context-ghost' as I read through.

This experience is really described in Merill’s First principles of instruction second point “existing knowledge is activated as a foundation for new knowledge“.

I find myself wanting to shape a blog post into a fugue. Not that clever though. Completely out of time.

By Roland Topor. Paris, France 1938-97























No comments:

Post a Comment